Govt. H.S.S Manalur is situated at Manalur Panchayath in Thrissur Taluk Manalur desam.School has 3.52 acres of land .Manalur is 15 K.M west of the cultural capital of Kerala,Thrissur.The school is surrounded by beautiful green paddy fields and coconut groves.The famous Thrikkunnu Siva Shetra is south of it.The grace of nature bestowed upon the village.
In course of time new school came up in nearby places.Then Thoppil Ukkru The Great Philanthropist came forward for constructing school. He started a school in a shed thatched with coconut leaves nearby his residence itself in the year 1914.It was named "Thoppil Higher Elementary School".It is believed that the great flood of 1924 caused the distruction of the school completely.When the time came to the reconstruction of the school,it was decided to move the school to a more convenient site.Thus the school was built to the present location that is to the west of Kalleli Thamarappilly Mana Sivashetram. At first two storeyed building was constructed by Thoppil Ukkru and with two acres of land is handed over to the Govt in 1925. After the school is taken over by the Govt it's name was changed to "Govt Lower Secondary School".It was upgraded to High School in 1946 as per records. In 1947 Eighth standard started, in 1948 Ninth and in 1949 Tenth standard. From here onwards the School entered it's golden era and witnessed glorious achievements in the field of education.
In 1964 L.P.School seperated from the school and it was given autonomous power. It is situated in the same compound north to the High school.In it's hey-day more than 3000 students studied in the school in a single year and worked under shift system.More buildings constructed with the aid of Govt and facilities added. But in 1980's Number of students decreased and divisions redused and in 1990's the school reached it's lowest status,only one division in each U.P classes and two divisions each in H.S classes.The reason could be that the nearby schools like SNGHSS Karamuck,and St Joseph's High School Enamavu were upgraded. Due to that the students who used to came from that places enrolled in those schools.
In 2000,Plus two classes started with two science batches and one commerce batch.From then onwards till 2007 100% result in Commerce group and more than 85% in science batch was achieved.Last year S.S.L.C result was 99%.It is a great sign of progress.With the co ordinated work of Students,Teachers and PTA the school's physical facilities have improved and now the school is progressing academically and competent enough to any other best schools in the area.
The eminent personalities in Puthezhath Madhava Menon, Gopalan Marar and the great Poet Vyloppilly Sreedhara Menon have served as Headmasters of this school.
The founder Director of Amala Cancer Hospital and Padmabhushan laureate Father Gabriel, National award winner of best teacher in 1991 Rev:sister Polinos ,Vidwan k Prakasan who translated Vyasa Maha Bharatha into Malayalam which the layman can understand,Kunjunni Kaimal who participated in Salt Satyagraha and was jailed, Well known Politician K.P.Prabhakaran who was the Health Ministor of Kerala, Krishnan Kaniyamparambil who was the agriculture Ministor of Kerala, MLA C.N.Jayadevan, Mr.T.A.Varghese first man who joined in ICS were a few proud alumni of the school.